Hi! I’m Bea, I’m Spanish, and although in the knitter’s world I’m better-known as TricoTriu. Now, I have the honor of being the Guest Blogger on Bettaknit’s blog for the free pattern “Ethnic Bag”.
You can see all my knitting projects on my Instagram profile @tricotriu, but you can also follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and, of course, on my blog, where I talk and write about knitting, crochet and many other homemade staff.
Today, I want all of you to have the free pattern of a bag that I have just designed inspired on the Boho style and made using the tapestry technique crochet and Bettaknit’s Fettuccine yarn: it has the same effect as the fabric yarn (…and100% cotton!), but it is lighter… so it’s definitely perfect to make bags.
When choosing the right colours, blue is the one. It is one of my favourites colours. I love all of its shades! So, as you can imagine, I couldn’t leave it out in this project. I have decided to combine it with both cream and yellow to make it livelier and summerier.
What do you need to crochet the Ethnic Bag?
- 3 balls of “Fettuccine” yarn (three different colours) – you can find it here!
- 10 mm crochet hook – you can find Bettaknit’s here!
- Stitch marker
- Sewing needle
Abbreviations – US terminology (UK in brackets)
- R: Round
- ch: Chain Stitch
- sc: Single crochet (Double Crochet)
- inc: Increase
- *…*: Repeat from * to *
- Make a magic ring and make 6 sc in the ring with the blue color.
- R1: 1 inc in each stitch around. (12 dc)
- R2: *1sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (18 dc)
- R3: *2 sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (24 dc)
- R4: *3 sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (30 dc)
- R5: *4 sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (36 dc)
- R6: *5 sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (42 dc)
- R7: *6 sc, inc in next stitch*, repeat 5 times. (48 dc)
- R8 to R11: 1 sc in each stitch (48 dc)
We change to the cream-coloured yarn:
- R12 and R13: 1 sc in each stitch (48 dc)
- From R14 to R20 crochet following the pattern and changing the colour when it´s necessary.
Remember to put the stitch marker at the beginnig of each round.
Continue crochetting using the yellow-coloured yarn:
- R21 and R22: 1 sc in each stitch (48 dc)
We change to the blue-coloured yarn:
- R23 to R29: 1 sc in each stitch (48 dc)
To close the bag you need to make a braid using the three colours. Introduce it into the R26 to create the bag’s gathered effect.
Finally, it’s time to crochet the handle:
- Make four ch and carry on crocheting with sc till you reach the wished-length (mine is about 98 cm). I have combined blue and yellow, but it’s up to you!
As you saw, the procedure is quite simple. If you have doubts, you can do a refresher of basic points, watching BettaKnit Video Tutorials.
I hope you’ve liked it! And if you are driven to do it, do not forget to share it on Instagram or Facebook with the hashtags #tricotriu #bettaknit #ilovebettaknit.
I forgot… Do you want to print the pattern so as not to lose? You can download it here both in English and Spanish! …and you will also get a discount of 5 € on your next order!
This post is also available in: Italian